April 23, 2011

Button Boutique Easel Card for the OCC

Vicki has come up with a brilliant challenge this week. It’s amazing how one little extra piece of CS and a couple more embellishments create such a wow card when you create it with an Easel Fold.

button btq easel card

I really love easel cards; if you’ve never made one they are really easy. Create a top fold card base of your choice. It can be landscape or portrait. Score the card front only in half vertically. Now create your card front on a new piece of CS. Try not to have any brads or eyelets etc. sticking though on the top half. When you are finished, adhere the bottom half of the decorated card front to the bottom half of the plain card base front. When you fold on the score line, you get an easel card. The card base rests on a table and the top props upwards.

button btq easel card closeup

Now you need something to hold the easel in place. Almost any embellishment will do but I prefer something with a wee bit of thickness. I’ve seen cards propped open on little more than a layer of CS but seems to me that one little bump (I have kids after all) and it would pop shut. I’ve used charms, brads, lace, buttons, 3-D stickers and a sentiment strip on foam dots. Lots of choices. I don’t usually decorate the inside of my cards but this forces me to. I usually figure I work so hard on the outside, why on earth decorate the inside too?? but in this case, the result is worth the extra effort.

I absolutely had a blast creating with my new Button Boutique set by PTI. Those gals are geniuses! Check out that white button; see the little flower I made within the holes? The top is a French knot with lots of wraps and the stems and leaves are just stitched  with green embroidery floss in an arrow shape. I made 4 button cards, I didn’t use a single stamp twice and there were still stamps left! I also got the pinked die and the set that stamps little squares of ‘fabric’, I forget what it’s called. I stamped the gingham stamp on a little piece of silk I’ve had for ages from a set of swatches back from when I sewed a lot. Thank heavens I saved them because I was amazed how well the fabric stamped. To prevent bleeding, I heated the fabric right before stamping; this helps the ink dry before it can bleed AND hit it with the heat gun right after. Then I cut it with the little pinked die. I can’t wait to make more of these.

I hope you will check out the other DT members awesome projects over at the OCC blog. Make sure you leave time to play with us before the deadline of next Friday night at 11:50 PM EST. Hope to see you there!

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
PTI
Ink: Baja-SU!, white-PTI, Antique Linen, Vintage Photo Distress Inks
Paper: blue dots-MME, all the rest-Melissa Frances, kraft-SU!
Accessories: Vintage lace, buttons-PTI, SU!; pearl, white string (button threading)-Dollarama, flower-Michaels, brad-Basic Grey, MS eyelet lace punch, Cuttlebug polka dots embossing folder, twill tape-stash, button card die, pinked die-PTI, foam dots-Jody Morrow

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable, Rebecca! I love that set too. It's been very popular. Love the little flower on the white button. Perfect detail! Have a great weekend!

Sharon Wheet said...

Rebecca, this card is the perfect example of why I love visiting your blog! I love all your little touches, the care and attention to detail that you take! Ok, the french knot in the white button to create a flower! Sooo perfect! (and yes, I love those gals @ PTI, too!) I love the added pattern paper, too. Everything!

DIANA L. said...

very pretty. Nice idea. I love your blog.
http:www.dianamlarson.blogspot.com!

DIANA L. said...

I am a new follower now I love your blog!!!

http:www.dianamlarson.blogspot.com!

LeAnne said...

So sweet! I have this set but haven't had much chance to use it. I love what you've done with the whole creation---the little additional embellishments make it a perfect little work of art!

LeAnne said...

So sweet! I have this set but haven't had much chance to use it. I love what you've done with the whole creation---the little additional embellishments make it a perfect little work of art!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is totally charming - loving all the shabby goodness here. And I'm so hooked on that PTI button set - it's amazing! Beautiful work on this week's challenge.

Hugs,
Linda

Vicki Burdick said...

Super sweet and so vintage!! Love the buttons and all your added embellishments!! Perfection!!

Sandy Ang said...

Just love your card. It's fantastically shabby chic with that wonderful button card.

Linda said...

Oh my goodness this is so wonderful. I LOVE it. That set is amazing and what you did with it is fantastic.

Beadyjan said...

ohh waht a lovely card